11-Points to Support
We believe that supporting these planning objectives and management policies will sustain the heritage and perpetuation of the Stehekin Community, as well as improve visitor services.
Eleven points that Stehekin Heritage supports:
Stehekin Heritage Summary Statement -(revised 2/7/11)
Draft LPP and SRCIP
Draft LPP and SRCIP
1. We request that the National Park Service (NPS) cooperate with Chelan County to conduct a socio-economic impact analysis and investigation of the effects of continued land acquisition on the future of the Stehekin Community.
2. Until this socio-economic impact analysis is completed, we request that the NPS support Chelan County and enact an immediate moratorium on Federal purchase of private property in Stehekin Valley.
3. We hope the NPS will continue to honor current land trade activity (with no net loss of private property land base value) but agree to a moratorium on all land acquisition until the above investigation is conducted.
4. If the goal of the NPS is to "trade" properties endangered by the river (a goal we support) then the amount of land identified for trade purposes must be increased considerably.
5. Change the acquisition priorities to exchange priorities. See section 5.2
6. It is essential that the LPP state overtly in the overall objectives and goals that: It is a management goal of the National Park Service to support an active and vibrant community people living and working in Stehekin as an enhancement to the visitor appreciation and use of the Lake Chelan National Recreation Area.
7. Remove appendix C - the Overlay District - from this plan.
8. As quickly as possible, identify the actions that are proposed for actual river management and put those elements of the planning effort into effect as soon as possible. Then let's agree to extend the timetable that involves reworking the LPP.
9. Maintain the Stehekin Valley Road at its present location.
10. Remove the facilities section from all alternatives until a clearly articulated philosophy and alternatives are developed for this maintenance/housing complex.
11. Support Alternative 5 - This alternative represents a common sense, practical management philosophy that is consistent with enacting legislation, supports a sustained vibrant community, public access and recreation.
Additionally, Alternative 5 supports land trades (with a no net loss of existing land base or value) keeping the road in it original alignment, protecting the road from river erosion, and improving visitor access.
The items included in this Summary Statement are presented with the intention to support management policies that sustain the heritage and perpetuation of the Stehekin Community.